Our product features and benefits information will help describe the manufacturing techniques that set apart our pre-engineered structures from site-built units. When evaluating a product’s fit and finish, decisions on the durability of primer coating the steel, final color coatings, assembly techniques, and ease of installation must be considered. At Superior Shelter, we have been capitalizing on “fit and finish” for years to achieve a product that looks good, lasts long, and is easy to maintain. Our hope is that by bringing awareness to product quality, your ownership equation will result in a higher level of customer satisfaction for the lifetime of your shelter.
We've been doing this for a long time - over 50 years to be exact! On staff, we have a full-time licensed engineer, AWS certified associate welding inspector, quality assurance manager, and an individual who has advanced professional credentials in green building and the LEED rating system (aka, a LEED AP). All of our welders are AWS certified.
What's more, we are an approved steel fabricator for over 5 cities and counties like the City of Los Angeles, the City of Houston, Miami Dade County, and the State of Utah just to name a few. Our certification certificates are available upon request.
These are great for the structural stability of the shelter and the prevention of vandalism on the roof edges.
No Exposed Bolts
Our hardware connections are hidden within the beams wherever possible to provide aesthetic elegance. Any exposed fasteners are powder-coated prior to shipment and will match your frame or roof color, as applicable. Another bonus with our connections? No field welding is required to construct your shelter.
Powder Coating: Setting the Stage
When you purchase a Superior Shelter, know that your structure was made with quality craftsmanship. The facility where our shelters are manufactured is PCI 4000 S Certified, a certification obtained through the Powder Coating Institute for original equipment manufacturers.
- Blast to White: All of our steel receives a near-white blast cleaning that removes all surface rust and oil.
- Preheat Steel: We pre-heat our steel in a three-stage iron phosphate.
- Primed: At this stage, we use an epoxy primer powder coat on your steel to ensure superior corrosion protection.
- Top Powder Coating Color: Next, we apply a top coat of super durable TGIC powder coat.
Test Results: Powder Coating
- Test: Salt Spray Resistance | Method: ASTM B117/ASTM D1654 | Range: 10,000 hours with no creep from the scribe line and a rating of 10
- Test: Humidity Resistance | Method: ASTM D2247-02 | Range: 5,000 hours with no loss of adhesion or blistering
- Test: Color/UV Resistance | Method: ASTM G154-04 | Range: 2,000 hours of exposure/alternate cycles with no chalking, 75% color retention, a color maximum 3.0 E variation CIE formula (before and after test)
What's another great feature of our structures being pre-engineered? We offer roof panel options that are pre-cut in our facility to size and angled so when you're ready to install, it's just one step. We have a variety of roofing panel styles that are available in your choice of color. Our metal roofing trim matches the color of your roof.
- R-Panel Metal Roof: Our R-Panel metal roofing is made from 24 gauge ribbed galvalume steel panels, with ribs 1-3/16" high and 12" on center. This roofing style is pre-cut. This paneling is painted in your choice of color with Kynar 500 coating. Our ceiling surfaces are painted with Valspar PMA0507 Off-White Backer. Our metal roofing trim is made from 26 gauge Kynar 500 painted steel in your selected roofing color.
- Standing Seam Metal Roof: Our Standing Seam metal roofing is made from 24 gauge galvalume steel panels, with ribs 1-3/4" high and 16" wide. This roofing style is angle cut in the field. This paneling is painted in your choice of color with Kynar 500 coating. Our ceiling surfaces are painted with Valspar PMA0507 Off-White Backer. Our metal roofing trim is made from 26 gauge Kynar 500 painted steel in your selected roofing color.